Heart Suncatchers

By | January 22, 2014

I used to make these heart suncatchers way back in my daycare center days so with some sunny weather and valentine’s day headed our way I decided it was time to break out some glue and make some!

suncatcher hearts

Items Needed:
-Heart-shaped cookie cutters
-Glue (clear glue works best, we used both white & clear so show the difference)
-Beads/gems/tissue paper
-Wax paper
I gave each of the girls a heart shaped cookie cutter on wax paper and let them choose the glue they wanted to use.  I recommend you put the wax paper on a pan or cutting board so you don’t have to transfer them to a counter or other area to dry which can cause the glue to leak out.

They LOVE to squeeze glue (really what kid doesn’t?) and they thought this was so awesome  because they got to fill the whole heart with lots of glue!

sunchatcher hearts glue bead      suncatcher glue bead heart

After they filled the heart with glue I gave them the tray of craft gems/beads and let them fill up their hearts with them.  When were done we set them on the counter to dry.  Be aware these take a few days to dry, ours literally took about 4 days to fully dry.

suncatcher hearts  suncatcher hearts glue  suncatcher hearts glue 1

Pull the wax paper off the back, cut the excess glue from around the outside of the cookie cutter, and then just pop out the dried hearts.

suncatcher glue hearts

The regular white glue looks “cloudy” but it does seem to dry a bit sturdier than the clear glue.  Of course it could be related to the portions that were used.

We’re going to be making more because the girls all had such a great time and they looks so pretty!

Connect with us on social media! We’re on Facebook, Google+, Pinterest & Twitter too! To receive our posts by email check the sidebar and subscribe!

About Where Imagination Grows
Lisette is the blogging mom behind Where Imagination Grows. She has a toddler daughter and operates a small daycare from her home. Each day is full of hands on learning and lots of play. Pop over to Facebook or Google+ and say "Hi!"

Please Note: If you discover any toys, materials, or other resources via this post that you would like to purchase, please do so by clicking on the affiliate link provided in the post. There is no added cost to you for your purchase via the links provided but every purchase made through affiliate links supports this site and allows me to continue providing you with free activities and resources. Thank you for your support!

38 thoughts on “Heart Suncatchers

1. Where Imagination Grows Post author

It was a totally working those fine motor skills! Especially since I didn’t open the cap all the way so they had to squeeze just a tiny bit harder to get the glue to come pouring out! ;)

1. Marcy

I love this idea- but how would you go about doing this with 24 children (2 classes of 12 each)? I don’t think I could come up with 24 cookie cutters. Have you ever used something recycled to put the glue in, and would it pop out when dry? (I am thinking plastic jar lids). I think these would make neat Mother’s Day gifts!

1. Where Imagination Grows Post author

In my center days we did it in groups of 6 (we had up to 20-24 total depending on the day) and that was manageable for us with our age group. I have done it in plastic lids, they are a bit harder to get to come loose (for us the metal lids from glass jars were the worst) but they turned out great too. We had to stick the ones from larger lids under a book for a few days after they had dried because the edges curled up a bit.

2. Mel

I just bought heart cookie cutters at Wal-mart last night. There was 6 cookie cutters for $1.47. They were over in the Valentine aisle. I am doing it with 20 students.

3. Terri

I made “snow flakes” by filling the bottom of plastic disposable bowls (SOLO dishware) with glue and having the kids add white stuff…glitter, tissue paper, etc. It worked really well. I wonder if you could do the same thing with these, and then cut out the heart shape when they dry? You might have to use smaller items like sequins instead of beads, but it might work.

1. Where Imagination Grows Post author

We’ve made these using plastic lids instead of cookie cutters, we wanted a round shape at the time, but the dried glue is very easy to cut so I’m sure you could cut it into whatever shape you wanted. Your snowflakes sound like a cute idea! :)

2. Susen

We love beads over here and what a fun way to put them to use. Last time we tried a glue craft to make a snowman we made the mistake of not using enough glue. We’ll not make that mistake again! Very pretty!!

3. Brittannia

Instead of using regular glue can you use modge podge? I have a whole jar of it that i have been trying to find a use for…. this is such a cute idea btw cant wait to make some with my son.

1. Where Imagination Grows Post author

I’m not sure if mod podge would dry solidly enough, but I’ve never experimented with it in that way so I’m not really sure. :) Let us know how it works if you try it!

1. Where Imagination Grows Post author

I’m not sure if Mod Podge would work, it’s similar to glue but a bit more watered down so I’m not sure how solid it would be when dried, but it’s definitely with a try.

4. Tulip

That is totally awesome! I never would have thought you could just use glue. What a great way to get the younger kids involved in the crafting. Thanks for sharing at Mom’s Library!

5. Terri Downer

I bet it would be pretty to tint the glue pink…either the white or the clear, but I think I’ll try clear.

6. Misty

I tried this but had HEAPS of trouble getting it out of the cookie cutter :( I had to hack at it with a knife so the edges look terrible… What did we do wrong?

1. Where Imagination Grows Post author

Oh no! So sorry to hear this happened! I’m not sure what the issue may be as ours just popped right out but maybe I can offer a few troubleshooting ideas? Was it kind of stretchy or very solid? One of ours, the clear one, wasn’t as solid as the others (she used less glue and we took it out a day earlier) so as you can see in the picture the edge of the top ripped a bit when it popped out. The other ones we popped out just after they had dried and I’ve noticed that they have gotten even harder so maybe your glue hardened faster? Also ours leaked a bit so prior to popping them out I cut around the outside of the cookie cutter (to clear the excess) and that seemed to loosen them up a bit too. Hopefully you can give it a go again and it will behave better for you! It’s such a disappointment when they don’t turn out!

1. Misty

Thanks so much for your reply! I’ve noticed it’s hardened more since yesterday. Perhaps I should have left it longer (I left it 4 days)… Did you use metal or plastic cutters? I used metal. Did you put it in the sun to dry?
        I will definitely try this again tomorrow… I’m determined to get it right for my little girl, she loved making it so much!

1. Where Imagination Grows Post author

We used metal ones, they have a bit of a smooth coating on them so maybe that helped? I didn’t leave ours in the sun to dry as it was rainy and nasty at the time we made them. They just sat on the kitchen counter for a few days. Good luck! :)

7. Jill

These are adorable, affordable and sure to be fun to make.

Thank you for stopping by the Thoughtful Spot Weekly Blog Hop this week. We hope to see you drop by our neck of the woods next week!

8. Linda

My kids are going to love this activity. I’m so glad you shared this at our All Things Valentines link up this month. We are going to have our All Things Spring Link Up open beginning Feb. 28th – http://wp.me/p3wgIf-xF – hope you come join the party and share your Spring-y posts!

9. Loves to Nanny

Love this idea! I can’t wait to do this with the soon to be 2. She will have fun!